Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Msnikiblog5 - Chapter 11 Activity #2

Chapter 11 Activity #2

    This particular exercise allowed me to compare my initial literature review (first draft) with the topic outline and to get a better understanding of the broad topic and how to narrow it down based on the information discovered.  Furthermore, I was able to also focus in on some specific points that also led me to think on some other portions of the over-all study that I am more interested in.  My intentions are to complete this project and have a better understanding of what I will want my dissertation to be on.


  • This draft did not match because the topic outline had some items removed as they were not concurrent or supportive with some of the topic information. Therefore, it differed because some sources and information within in was removed or omitted.  This variation does not necessarily affect the path of the argument - it just focuses more specifically and less broad (as I am still working on the development).



  • The reader will know of the changes because of the sub-headers provided that will allow for a systematic flow of transitions to follow. 

4 comments:

  1. Niki sounds like you are on track. I find the more I research the more I either refine part of the topic or even discovere another large component I wasn't really aware of. This exercise is good for us to see how things flow together, but also how there is so much out there if we keep searching that we need to be able to group topics or subtopics and just keep reviewing. What is the topic you are researching?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Evening Keri,

      My topic was originally a broad topic of safety on college campuses and there were so many topics and areas to go towards, but with the assistance of these assignments, our instructor, the individual librarian sessions, and also other assigned faculty members, it really was a lot better to narrow the topic down and stay focused on that particular topic or subtopic.

      Thanks for visiting my page and take care,

      Niki

      Delete
  2. Hi Cybele,

    Yes that question of 10 and I also asked the librarian about the number we should look towards on the dissertation to stay focused and to be able to have enough information to pull from. The librarian provided numbers that she advised would be manageable and not overwhelming, so I am very thankful for these assignments as they are very helpful. Additionally, I was glad to hear about the sources being acceptable if not all within the 5-7 year time frame (some primary sources are much older).

    Thank you for sharing and take care,

    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Niki,
    I too, found that I had to change a few things with regard to needing a couple of different articles. I think the new information will be helpful but it does involve a little more rewriting. I can see how your topic could be overwhelming due to size. That may be challenging but it sounds like you are on your way! I am glad we are all in this together. It gives me comfort and encouragement! Thanks for sharing.
    Shari :-)

    ReplyDelete